Families share a lot of memorable events at their tables in their dining rooms. It's the setting for soul-warming meals, hearty conversations, and food comas; the perfect stage for laughter, joy, and playful teasing. It's where we break bread with our relatives during holidays, find comfort in one another during hard times, and reconnect with friends long unseen.
Dining Table Dimensions
The dining table is often the focal point where you gather with friends and loved ones. To comfortably fit your space and enhance the ascetic features of your home, choosing the right size and shape for your dining room table is vital.
Common Types Of Dining Room Tables
Below are some basics about the most common types of dining room tables:
- Square Dining Room Tables: Ranging between 36 and 44 inches wide, and can seat between 4 to 8 people, although four is the most common. Square tables work well in square dining rooms because they help maintain their proportionality.
- Rectangular Dining Room Tables: Rectangular dining tables are perfect for dinner parties with large families. These are a good fit for most dining rooms, generally ranging from 36 to 40 inches wide and 48 to 108 inches long. Most rectangular tables seat between four and ten guests. Some of our farmhouse dining room tables fall in this category, giving the home a rustic, outdoorsy look with your choice of wood type to match your style.
- Round Dining Room Tables: Often a good option for smaller groups, round tables typically range from 36 to 54 inches in diameter and seat between 4 and 8 guests.
- Breakfast Nooks: Kitchenettes and space-saving breakfast nooks fall into the kitchen table set category and are very similar to dining tables, despite these living in the kitchen rather than the dining room. Generally, these small space tables take up less room, fit comfortably in larger kitchens, and are used for eating casual, everyday meals like quick breakfasts, doing homework, and working on home improvement projects.
Built to be as solid and lasting as family ties, dining tables from Bassett Furniture give your family that sacred place to share and make hundreds of new memories for decades to come. Family dinners should be in a room that looks like something you could spend every day in since you'll often use your dining room furniture.
- Look for a drop-leaf table if your dinner party sizes generally vary in size. That way, you can shrink your table's size for small gatherings of friends and family. When more people join for large dinners, holiday gatherings, or other significant occasions, add a table leaf to meet that size need.
- If you often entertain in your dining area, consider keeping a large table. That way, your room's style stays consistent. At that point, you can also consider investing in a dining table bench for one of the long sides instead of dining tables chairs.
- When the holidays come, people adjust their homes to more festive styles. That means more holiday decorations. For some people, that also means new sets of furniture, too. It's common for people to add buffet tables sideboards to help better serve guests holiday meals during family gatherings or other events.
Wood Furniture, Sourced Responsibly
We are committed to crafting high-quality custom furniture without the wait. From Europe and South America right here to the United States, we search the world over to find the finest materials that go into making our furniture. We stock components that are globally sourced for solid wood products and inspect and finish them for you based on your specifications.
Skilled artisans craft our BenchMade line of furniture in the USA from trees harvested in the Appalachian Mountains. One at a time, the old-fashioned way, each BenchMade dining table is detailed and finished by hand in Bassett, Virginia.
Custom-Made Dining Tables
Can't find a table that entirely suits your vision or meets your family's needs? We are ready to assist. You can try your hand at designing a dining room table to fit your family's distinctive style. We'll customize one just for you.
Bassett Furniture's custom design program allows you to put your spin on your dining, kitchen, or breakfast table. Choose from oak, walnut, and other woods and a wide selection of wood finishes. What's better - none of our tables are made using veneers.
From clean lines to ornate designs, create your own table and give your personal flair before buying it.